How to prepare for a Boudoir Session
When I did my own boudoir session for my husband as a wedding gift, I had a ton of questions before hand. What do I wear? Should I do my own hair and makeup? How awkward and uncomfortable is this going to be? I’m not a skinny girl by any means so what will the photographer think of me?
All of these questions are normal. You are fixing to get in your sexiest attire in front of a total stranger so it is only natural to be a little nervous. I promise though… it’s not as bad as you think so don’t get yourself all worked up over it. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your boudoir session and hopefully calm your nerves a little.
- Be comfortable in your own body. I’m sure many photographers would agree, this is the most important tip of them all. Eat right, exercise and be happy! Love the life you live. Don’t think for one minute that this is awkward for your photographer… it is just another work day for her.
- Get to your appointment early. Nothing is worse than stress, and trust me, it will be written all over your face when you show up to your session sweaty and out of breath after running to get there. Give yourself plenty of time when scheduling the shoot in the first place.
- Eat smart and drink lots of water in the weeks leading up to your photo shoot. Eating the right foods and drinking lots of water will give you a healthy glow from the inside out. You’ll look better and feel better!
- Bring lots of outfit options for different moods so that you’re guaranteed to feel good in something you brought. Bring something sweet and innocent and something a little racier. Matching bras & panties, negligees, jersey’s, button down shirts, men’s ties and stockings are just a few examples.
- Bring on the HIGH heels! You know the pair of heels you have in your closet you never wear because you can’t walk in them? Bring those! The higher the better!
- Watch the hair! If you are doing your hair and makup before the shoot, arrive in a button-down shirt so you don’t mess up your gorgeous “do”!
- Wear a gel deodorant. Not the chalky white stuff cause that ain’t sexay.
- Find pictures and poses you like first. Search for boudoir on Google or Pinterest to get an idea of what you like before you get there. We allow our clients to send us their photo inspiration ahead of time so that we will already have them when you come to your shoot.
- Practice your “Sexy Face” in the mirror prior to your shoot. Many people think they have their sexy face down but have you ever looked at it in the mirror? Most people’s sexy face comes across as mean, mad or upset. Now we don’t want that coming across in your photos so PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
- Last but not least… Just have FUN! Bring a bottle of wine, we will turn on the music of your choice and just relax. If your nerves get the best of you, bring a friend. Sometimes having someone you know with you will lighten the mood and help you get rid of all of those nerves.
I hope these tips have helped ease your worries a little. If you still have questions or concerns before you book a session, please contact us directly. We are always open to answer any questions you may have.